Watch Out for Dodgy Portable Gas Cookers

A new warning has been issued about more potentially dangerous “lunchbox” gas cookers as Queenslanders head off on holidays.

Active & Co and Jackeroo brand cookers
Active & Co and Jackeroo brand portable single burner butane stoves sold at Kmart between December 2015 and April this year have been recalled by the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission.

Two incidents, one in Western Australia, the other in Victoria has seen people injured because of gas leaks from these devices.

Anyone who has one is advised to check the number of the certificate on the cooker. The recalled products have a model number PL-222 and a certification number GMK10262.

If it is, they should stop using it immediately and return the product to any Kmart store for a full refund or dispose of the appliance responsibly.

Any used butane canisters should be disposed of safely in appropriate bins at council waste or recycling centres.

Butane gas cookers are light, compact, cheap and popular for outdoors activities such as camping and caravanning. About 29 000 have been sold in Queensland.

All lunchbox cookers manufactured before July 2015 were recalled nationally in 2016.

An explosion from a butane canister cooker could cause severe injury to anyone standing close, not only burns but cuts and lacerations from flying metal debris.

The energy released is enough to create a shock wave to knock a person off balance and the fire ball can be up to 6 metres in diameter.

Consumers are encouraged to visit https://www.qld.gov.au/emergency/safety/gas/gas-safety-videos for videos containing important safety tips for using butane cookers and other appliances that use gas.